Friday, April 24, 2009

Little Things Add Up to Make School More Enjoyable


This may be a small post compared to the others on this blog. It isn't about broad changes in thinking,, or learning, or teaching. What it does address is class and school climate.

When Joe came in with his Tie Tuesday idea, I didn't think much about it. I had worn ties every day my first year of teaching, and I am so over that now. I thought it would be something that happened for a week or two and then it would die out. I was wrong.

Joe's next ideas was Jersey Friday. The days the staff can dress "down" we would have the students wear jerseys. Since I have many sports jerseys, I was happy to participate. I still thought it wouldn't last.

The fifth and sixth grades have been enjoying both days. They seem to enjoy being part of something special, even though it isn't anything big. Of course I was wrong.

Looking back over the last few months I can see that our classes climate has changed a little for the better because of two seemingly insignificant things. If we can get lucky and make a positive change, can't we do better with some thought and effort?

No comments:

Post a Comment