Saturday, October 12, 2013

This Week in History October 14: How Washington Held It All Together


http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/24.109.88

We will be reading Washington's Crossing a couple days a week and spend the other days continuing with our timeline. This week while I am gone on Monday the students will be reading about the colonies fighting in the Revolutionary War. The students will choose between writing a short persuasive paper from the point of view of one of two women from the time period.
  • If they choose to write as Molly Pitcher their topic will be: Why Women Belong on the Battlefield 
  • If they choose to write as Abigail Adams their topic will be: Why Women Deserve Suffrage
I love the story of Mrs. Adams trying to influence her husband John to step up for the women:

I long to hear that you have declared an independancy-and by the way in the new Code of Laws which I suppose it will be necessary for you to make I desire you would Remember the Ladies, and be more generous and favourable to them than your ancestors. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the Husbands. Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could. If perticuliar care and attention is not paid to the Laidies we are determined to foment a Rebelion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any Laws in which we have no voice, or Representation.


Tuesday and Wednesday we will be reading from Washington's Crossing. The focus on these two days will be on how General Washington had to change his leadership style to accommodate the different soldiers that came to the army. How difficult was it for him to take men with disparate ideas of leading and following and make them into a disciplined (enough) fighting force to survive the first year. 

Thursday the 8th grade will be on a field trip. Friday they will be reading about the little known fighting that took place in the south and the west during the Revolution. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello William Chamberlain! My name is Lauren Bradley. I am a student at the University of South Alabama, majoring in elementary education. I am currently enrolled in a class that guides you through incorporating technology into the classroom and promoting more effective learning. From looking at your blog I noticed you have prior knowledge of “Comments 4 Kids”. Well, this is my “Comments 4 Teachers” and I was assigned to your blog! I must say I am learning so much this semester and have been inspired by so many blog including yours. Your blog reaches more people than your students and I think that is awesome; something I inspire to be yet not something many people can create.
    This blog post collaborates a lesson and an assignment in one. I noticed how you left your students with something to think about. Also, audiences such as myself, can learn something from the post as well. Being a female, even in this day-and-age, can be tough; right off the bat you can be discriminated. Something I read in the story you left of Mrs. Adams attempting to persuade her husband John to fight for women’s causes, made me stop and think. A sentence in that paragraph says, “Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could.” This is very interesting.
    Once upon a time in Western Civilization II, we were discussing the infamous Louis XVI. Then somehow the conversation drifted to men in power, then snowballed from there. My teacher, being a women says, “So you think the 10,000 years of violence in a world ruled by men is better?! , arguing about men and women in power with male students…something to think about. I admire the fact that you are teaching your students to have an open mind and think for themselves about topics such as these. It is so vital that students are taught an adequate amount of each side to form fair and educated opinions; especially of topics and issues that are happening now. Thank you for your insight. Like I said before, your blog and been truly inspiring and is now on my Symabloo. I am going to use your blog as an example for me as I travel through my educational career.

    Below is my URL to my blog! bradleylaurenedm310.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete