Monday, August 26, 2019

Reflection: Creating a World Map

Not all of the things I need to learn are specifically content related. In this case I am looking for several things that aren't part of the EQ.

One of the things I am looking for is how well the student works on a project with the kids they choose to sit by. Who likes to socialize more than work, and things like that. I also look for kids who can work with a deadline. Can they self-regulate well enough to do a good job and still finish when time is up? Finally, I am looking for the ability students have to do the art. Can they draw well? Do they have the ability to make the continents the right size and shape?

I did get to find out a lot about my students with this lesson.

Positives:

  1. Most of the students were trying to do a good job with their maps.
  2. There was plenty of time in class, around 60 minutes.
  3. Students had good attitudes.
  4. The third class seemed to do best with doing good work and finishing the map.
Negatives:
  1. The first two classes worked too slowly to finish in class. Out of 42 students I only had 5 turned in.
  2. The first class was super chatty. I remembered to break out the technique I use where I start their work time with a five minute quiet period for them to focus with the last two classes and that worked very well.
  3. The last 20 minutes of the third class, right before lunch, was rough, the kids had a tough time focusing. I realize this will be a problem due to the time of the day but I need to keep working on how to get them to get back on task.
  4. I forgot a movement break with my first class. I have made sticky notes to put on my plans so I won't do that again. 


In this lesson you will take a quick pre-assessment to see how many continents and oceans you remember. Then you will hand draw the continents and label them and the oceans. You will finish up by coloring them. 

Essential Question: Can you label the continents and oceans of the world?

Engage:

Explore:
  • Identify the continents and oceans of the world
Explain:

Evaluate:
  • Hand draw, label and color a map. Identify the continents and oceans. 
Extend:

No comments:

Post a Comment